22 Vital Barn Rules That Everyone Needs To Follow
The barn is a second (or first) home to many of us equestrians, and we can be very touchy about other people's behaviour when they come to visit. Misplaced saddles and brushes are one thing, but sometimes it can actually be quite dangerous for people unfamiliar with proper barn etiquette to be messing around in one. To make everybody's lives easier we've put together the 'Barn Bible' with 22 of the most important rules that need to be followed when in the barn.
1. If you unlock it, lock it back up.
2. If you borrow it, return it
3. If you don’t know, ask
4. If you move it, put it back
5. If you lose it, replace it
6. If it doesn’t concern you, don't mess with it
7. If you turn it on, turn it off
8. If it's empty, fill it up
9. If you break it, fix it
10. If it’s not broke, DON'T fix it
11. If you throw it down, pick it back up
12. If it grows, mow it or bale it
13. If you ride it, feed it
14. If you fall off, get back on
15. If you get feed scoop out, put it back
16. If you open it, close it
17. If you break it, admit it!
18. If you can’t fix it, call someone who can
19. If you make a mess, clean it up!
20. If you see something that needs to be done, do it
21. If you drive it, check the oil
22. If you smoke, don't smoke in the barn
That last one is probably the most important rule to be followed in a barn! Barn fires are suprisingly common and can ruin lives. We recommend you print this out and stick them all around your barn! Be sure to share this on Facebook as well so we can spread the word as far as possible!